Turn Forward – a new, national nonprofit dedicated to advancing an ambitious vision for American offshore wind – is hiring a Campaigns Manager. The Campaigns Manager will lead multiple campaigns, including a robust strategic communications initiative, to support the organization’s advocacy to increase federal and state ambition for offshore wind energy and advance the policies and projects needed to maximize the many benefits this essential climate solution can deliver.
Candidates who are BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ are warmly encouraged to apply.
Launched in November 2022, Turn Forward is dedicated to advancing an ambitious vision for American offshore wind power that meets today’s climate, economic, equity, and environmental challenges. We aim to create durable momentum for policies and projects that significantly expand offshore wind generation, deliver benefits to workers and communities, and protect marine and coastal resources. We are a philanthropy-funded, national organization working collaboratively with climate change, labor, community, and wildlife conservation organizations to ensure a successful trajectory for offshore wind development in the US (www.turnforward.org)
We are an independent operating project of the umbrella organization, Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org).
The Campaigns Manager will lead the organization’s pro-offshore wind advocacy efforts, working with the organization’s many partners to advance collaborative campaigns in support of policies and actions that can maximize offshore wind deployment, deliver benefits for communities and workers, and ensure protections for marine and coastal resources.
The Campaigns Manager will manage our Advocacy and Communications efforts, including developing and leading strategies to elevate broad and diverse voices of support for offshore wind and highlighting the many benefits it can deliver across multiple media platforms. The Campaigns Manager will play an important role in developing this organization, working with a small team committed to building a collaborative and effective organization at this big moment in America’s offshore wind story. The Campaigns Manager will report to the Senior Director of Strategy and Advocacy.
- Manage all aspects of our Turn Forward’s Campaigns, including: setting collaborative goals and developing and leading effective advocacy and communications strategies to reach them.
- Coordinate with the Senior Director of Strategy and Advocacy, the Policy and Research Manager, and external partners to develop Turn Forward’s Agenda and establish priority Campaigns to achieve near and longer term outcomes.
- Develop and lead the implementation of a national, complex communications strategy, including: collaborating with partners across the country to elevate a positive narrative across traditional and social media platforms; developing and deploying creative communications content (written, graphic, and video) and campaigns; managing the expansion of our website to ensure valuable, timely content for offshore wind advocates; overseeing day to day communications activities (both proactive and rapid response); and serving as Point of Contact for communications consultants and/or vendors.
- Work directly with our partners to execute collaborative Campaigns, including advancing organizing and communications initiatives and tactics in support of offshore wind projects and related federal, state, and local policies.
- Represent Turn Forward across a variety of venues, including: engaging with partners and other advisors; attending ad hoc and regular meetings convened by offshore wind partners; and participating in a range of offshore wind advocacy coalition tables.
- Support Turn Forward’s organizational priorities, including contributing to grant proposal and report development as well as impact evaluation and learning.
Specific experience requested:
We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives in our applicant pool, and will be looking for candidates who possess many, but not necessarily all, of the following qualifications and experience:
- Expertise in campaign management, communications, and organizing strategies related to federal and/or state policymaking processes.
- Ideally 5+ years of related experience
- Track record of engagement in advocacy campaigns, including: defining outcomes, developing a clear theory of change, and executing successful strategies to win the support of decision makers and mobilize key constituencies.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including demonstrated equity competencies and experience working successfully across sectors with a range of advocacy and/or community organizations.
- Self-starter with the ability to think strategically and carry out responsibilities in an effective manner.
- Strong personal organization skills and attention to detail; ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines concurrently and respond quickly to changing dynamics.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally to different audiences in both internal (e.g., campaign plans, strategy documents) and external (e.g., press statements, online content) forums.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest advocacy.
Salary, benefits, and working conditions:
Turn Forward provides a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive salary ($85,000 to $95,000, depending on experience), plus excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation and sick leave policy.
This is a full-time, remote position, preferably based in the Washington DC metro area. Some travel will be required. We will follow CDC COVID-19 guidelines.
Multiplier and Turn Forward celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills and provide an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. We prohibit discrimination in our governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.
How to apply:
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Campaigns Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. First screening will occur on November 14, 2022. Please provide a resume and cover letter in your application materials including the following:
- Your interest in the position and connection to our mission.
Mission statement: We are an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to advancing an ambitious vision for American offshore wind power that meets today’s climate, economic, equity and environmental challenges. We aim to create durable momentum for policies and projects that significantly expand offshore wind, deliver benefits to workers and communities, and protect marine and coastal resources.
- Please share your experience and approach in working with a range of voices to find common ground.
- Your salary requirements.
We respectfully request no follow-up calls or emails.