The Interfaith Sustainable Food Collaborative (ISFC) is seeking an Outreach and Communications Associate to help us achieve our non-profit mission:
The Interfaith Sustainable Food Collaborative advances the production of and access to healthy food produced in a sustainable, socially just manner by empowering faith communities with models and resources to advance local food systems and public policy. Interfaith Food offers the opportunity to build sustainable food systems and increase food justice through partnerships.
About the Interfaith Sustainable Food Collaborative
The ISFC works to broaden the base of the sustainable agriculture movement by building bridges between faith and farming communities. With an empowerment based approach, we help congregations develop programs through networking, technical assistance and financial assistance. Our focus on sustainable food systems encompasses soil and water protection, social justice, supporting direct marketing for family farmers and access to food aid programs. The
Collaborative facilitates policy activism by connecting congregations to educational resources and specific advocacy opportunities. Interfaith Food has engaged more than 400 faith-based groups to working to grow a more sustainable food system. Find more info.at www.interfaithfood.org
Position Summary: The Communications and Reporting Program Associate responsibilities will include coordinating newsletters, social-media and web-site communications as well as database/CRM management; and supporting reporting and tracking information on grant funded projects with multiple partner groups. These projects will include, but are not limited to advancing Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) relationships, food waste reduction, and nutrition incentives. The Communications and Reporting Program Associate will work in a fluid environment with multiple internal and external deadlines; and needs to be able to collaborate with a team but also work independently to advance partnerships, and projects.
The Communications and Reporting Program Associate’s general responsibilities will include:
- Support outreach to faith-based groups and facilitate establishing or developing CSA produce box drop-offs at faith community sites to facilitate congregants and neighbors purchasing from local farmers and other ISFC program goals.
- Promote and assist in organizing trainings and networking for faith-based groups advancing food security including: workshops, training-of-trainers, and a conference.
- Promote and facilitate reporting for faith community projects to develop models, and best practices resources for implementing food access, farm land access and other projects.
- Compile reporting information for grant reports and to facilitate program evaluation; and
- Lead updating and development of the organization’s web-site content and social media.
The Communication and Reporting Program Associate will spend a majority of time implementing grants through the Calif. Dep’t. of Food & Agriculture and U.S. Dep’t. of Agriculture focused on:
- Expanding access to fruits and vegetables by improving nutritional awareness and increasing consumption; and expanding availability of affordable and locally grown food;
- Facilitating product sales and access to land to strengthen viability of beginning and minority farmers;
- Developing local markets & connecting farmers to consumers by enhancing direct marketing opportunities;
- Organizing and promoting a conference and workshops to support faith-based partnerships with direct market farmers; and
- Facilitating access to locally produced food by low-income families with nutrition incentives for farmers markets, CSA and produce stand purchases.
Terms: The hourly position would be either 32 or 40 hours per week based on agreement of applicant and Interfaith Food. The position is based at Interfaith Food’s Sebastopol, California office. Travel may include meetings in Sonoma, Marin, Alameda and Contra Costa counties. Compensation for the position will be based on experience with a full-time equivalent (40 hours a week) ranging from $36,000 to $45,000 per year. The position reports to the ISFC’s Executive Director. ISFC is a fiscally-sponsored project of Multiplier, a non-profit organization. Benefits include employer paid health, dental and vision insurance, pro-rated vacation time and sick leave, paid holidays, and an opportunity to contribute to an employer-matched tax deferred retirement plan. The primary source of funding for the position is a grant running through March 30th, 2023.
The Ideal Candidate: You have a familiarity with community organizing, sustainable agriculture, food justice and/or faith community work. Strong written communication, facilitation and conflict resolution skills are key. Experience with cross-cultural relationship building and social media is a plus. You can manage electronic newsletters, social-media and web-based contact and utilize CRM/Client Resource Management and project management systems. You have strong writing/editing skills and attention to detail. B.A. degree or above is required. Applicants with at least 2 years of professional experience, preferably in the non-profit sector, will be most competitive. Spanish language skills are desirable.
How to Apply: Interested individuals should contact Steve Schwartz at Steve@interfaithfood.org or (707) 634-4672. Please submit a resume and cover letter by e-mail as soon as possible. The position will remain open until filled. We plan to schedule interviews beginning November 17, and we will evaluate applications on a rolling basis.
We value and promote diversity in the workplace and we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.