Kitchen Table Advisors (KTA) fuels the economic viability of sustainable small farms and ranches through practical business advising and trusted relationships. Our vision is that regenerative farmers and ranchers are thriving leaders of a vibrant, community-based economy that is rooted in equitable distribution of power and resources. Kitchen Table Advisors’ work aims to both directly support farmers and ranchers, as well as shift the ecosystem in which they operate, to be more supportive of their agricultural practices and their lived experiences. We focus our efforts on land, markets and capital, which we see as key levers of change as small sustainable farms and ranches strive towards long-term economic viability.
Job Title: Communications Manager, Media
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Salary Range: $80,000 – $88,000
Total Rewards Include: Professional development stipend, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and employer-matched 401k. Flexible working schedule, generous vacation, and leave policies.
Post Date: 4/25/2023
First Review Date: 5/16/2023
Work Location: This role is remote; however, applicants must be located in or willing to relocate to one of the regions that we serve in Northern and Central California, including Yolo, Solano, Sacramento, Sonoma, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, Alameda, Contra Costa, Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Benito, Santa Clara, Madera, Stanislaus and surrounding areas. KTA has office space in Berkeley and Salinas that staff are invited but not required to use.
Centering the lived experiences and visions of the farmer and rancher clients we support, Kitchen Table Advisors’ approach to external communications is rooted in individual and community storytelling. As we continue to build the foundation of our communications work, we are expanding the reach and depth of our client storytelling within media, public relations, and partner collaborations.
The newly created Communications Manager, Media position is a role for a media strategist, relationship builder, and brand steward who can contribute to the design and fulfillment of Kitchen Table Advisors’ external-facing communications strategy. As a member of the Resource Generation team, they will build and oversee a media and public relations strategy that uplifts the stories of clients, generates social and financial capital, and ensures a consistent and aligned organizational brand. In addition to cultivating relationships with journalists and editors, they will foster community partnerships that support collaborative storytelling opportunities for our clients and staff. This position will round out Kitchen Table Advisors’ three-member Communications department, reporting to the Director, Resource Generation while working alongside the Communications Manager, Brand and the Communications Specialist.
This is an exciting opportunity for a media-focused storyteller who can support upholding KTA’s brand while growing community connections that elevate the stories and businesses of our client farmers and ranchers.
The primary responsibilities of this role include:
Public Relations & Media (40%)
- Informed by KTA’s external-facing communications strategy, design and implement a public relations and media strategy that includes an annual plan with a proactive media outreach calendar;
- Develop and maintain communications systems, workflows, and processes that ensure brand alignment as well as awareness of and engagement with the media strategy across the organization;
- Cultivate positive working relationships with media partners that center amplification of client stories and KTA’s work;
- Support both the KTA team and clients as they engage with media by leading training and providing direct assistance;
- Maintain a plan to communicate effectively with the KTA community, internal and external, during crises;
- Lead KTA’s communications response during crises, guiding and supporting staff through engaging with external stakeholders and media, as needed;
- Ensure clear, consistent communications with the Program team to support pursuing media opportunities that center clients;
- Track and measure the impact of the public relations plan, leveraging data and metrics to regularly assess and refine strategy.
Communications Strategy & Brand Stewardship (35%)
- Collaborate with the Director, Resource Generation and Communications Manager, Brand to shape and fulfill KTA’s external-facing communications strategy;
- Support connecting KTA’s brand to resonant audiences by identifying and prioritizing important audience segments and their associated needs;
- Working with the Communications Manager, Brand, develop and maintain internal and external-facing brand tools and resources (e.g. internal brand toolkit), as needed;
- Ensure consistency and alignment of how the KTA brand is represented externally;
- Lead the development of a community partner strategy around collaborative communications, identifying criteria for engaging partners and creating tools to support consistent shared messaging and representation of the KTA brand;
- Manage relevant consultant work, including oversight of budget, and liaise with volunteers, as needed;
- Attend relevant training opportunities that help extend KTA’s storytelling themes around racial justice, ecological resilience, etc.;
- Work to increase accessibility of communications tools to be inclusive of diverse needs.
Resource Generation & Program Support (10%)
- Provide input on development strategy and support with community gatherings to ensure consistency with KTA’s brand and communications strategy (e.g. messaging, brand guidelines, featured client selection);
- Provide input on internal communications to clients (prospective, current, alumni) to ensure consistency with KTA’s brand (e.g. messaging, brand guidelines, impact stories).
You care about our planet and want to work in an environment that inspires you and others to action every day. You are a savvy communicator, and know how to strategically navigate the public relations/media space to open new opportunities for clients and KTA. You are a confident and skilled strategic communicator with a commitment to cultivating community and a natural bias toward creating impact. You are a comfortable, self-assured ambassador with an ability to easily garner trust that paves the way to open doors. You are self-aware, perpetually curious, a self-starter, skilled multi-tasker, detail-oriented, a creative problem solver, and collaborative team player. You have high emotional intelligence and ability to navigate delicate situations and relationships with grace, take responsibility for actions, adapt to others who have different backgrounds and experiences, learn from mistakes, and apply a growth mindset. You want to be a part of a cohesive and diverse team that is leading a growing organization dedicated to food system change.
- Minimum 5 years experience in communications, journalism, or public relations/marketing, preferably surrounding sustainable agriculture, local food systems, economic development, social justice;
- Experience developing and implementing a public relations/media plan and cultivating relationships with journalists/editors;
- Experience building external-facing communications strategy;
- Passion for sustainable food and farms and/or economic development for historically under-resourced communities;
- Strong networks and relationships with sustainable farms, food businesses, nonprofit partners, media, etc. in Northern and/or Central California;
- Experience building trusted relationships with communities who have historically been excluded from resources and recognition within our food system — namely BIPOC, women, low-income, immigrant, and LGBTQIA+ communities;
- Strong writing/editing and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent project management skills, including a keen eye for all the details;
- Thrives in dynamic startup environments and must be able to be adaptive;
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, Google Suite, Airtable, Salesforce/CRM, and Adobe;
- Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred. Native Spanish speaker highly preferred;
- Connection to agriculture: family background or business, work experience, etc., highly preferred.
Travel and Schedule Considerations
- Due to the nature of the work, candidates must possess a valid driver’s license for periodic travel throughout Northern California to meet with clients, business advisors, and partners. KTA will support in facilitating travel arrangements if access to a car is unavailable;
- There will be occasional work responsibilities that occur during the evenings and/or weekends.
Please submit the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications-Manager-Media-Application”. All qualified candidates will be contacted via email. This position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a first review date of 5/16/2023:
- A cover letter describing your interest in this position and our work
Kitchen Table Advisors is a project of Multiplier, a nationally-recognized nonprofit headquartered in San Francisco, that accelerates impact for initiatives that protect and foster a healthy, sustainable, resilient, and equitable world (www.multiplier.org). The Communications Manager, Media will be an employee of Multiplier.
Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.