Azul is a Latinx led and serving environmental justice organization focused on ocean stewardship. We are small, nimble, and extremely mighty. Founded in 2011, Azul has been instrumental in the CA plastic bag ban, shark fin ban, and in expanding access to the state’s coasts. Our work is rooted and guided by equity, social justice, and intersectionality. For more information, check out www.azul.org.
Azul is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org), and is headquartered in San Francisco. This is a full-time position, based in Providence, RI.
Azul is a fast growing non-profit organization looking to hire a (Full-time) Community Organizer to join our Rhode Island-based organizing program: Latinos Marinos. This position presents an opportunity to work with an innovative team that is connecting the Latino environmental culture to action combating climate change and pollution and promoting clean and healthy communities. The Community Organizer will guide our issue campaigns and the efforts to build relationships with Latinx families in the Providence area to take action in the fight to protect our ocean and climate change. We are looking for very experienced, creative, ambitious community organizers who are goal-driven and seasoned in building community power.
- Work closely with Azul´s Organizing Director to develop, implement and evaluate issue organizing campaigns that successfully recruit members, build grassroots leaders and get the attention of decision makers and media.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with Latino organizations, community leaders and policymakers.
- Help to plan and execute community member meetings and training.
- Identify and utilize major community member issues and connect to relevant work and campaigns led by our organization.
- Ensure that community leaders have the tools to successfully design, implement, and adjust issue campaigns such as power mapping, media, public and online engagement, grounded in community centered theory of change.
- Coach, train and manage Azul´s members and community leaders and ensure they have the skills, analysis, plans and tools needed to meet short and long-term goals and to take a leadership role in the program.
- Ensure the meticulous tracking of organizing work in our database and reporting systems, including developing and monitoring reports on membership recruitment and leadership development
- Support the development and testing of effective and new organizing and mobilizing strategies and tools that help move our communities and leaders.
- Work with Azul’s Communications team to create media opportunities and increase coverage of the program and campaigns.
Minimum 3 years mid-level or leadership experience in grassroots community, issue or labor organizing programs. Experience in campaigns that include membership recruitment, training, monitoring goals, developing strategies and tactics, and forming alliances with other groups.
Excellent spoken and written English & Spanish language skills are required. Experience with EveryAction and Microsoft Office programs such as WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT and OUTLOOK is required. Must be enthusiastically committed to amplifying the voice and leadership of Latino communities in Rhode Island, have excellent organizational and time management skills including campaign planning and strategy development, ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast paced work environment, and be a creative problem-solver who is resourceful in challenging or new situations.
Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating racial justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
Position requires the ability to travel and to work some evenings and weekends. The position will be based in Providence, RI and is a full-time position that includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Salary and benefits:
Multiplier provides a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive pay ($48,000-50,000/yr), excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation and sick leave policy.
How to apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Send us your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Azul Community Organizer – Rhode Island” in the subject line explaining why you are interested in this position. Please describe your relevant experience and qualifications. We respectfully request no follow-up calls or emails.
Multiplier and Azul celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Azul are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Azul prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.