Kitchen Table Advisors (KTA) fuels the economic viability of sustainable small farms and ranches through practical business advising and trusted relationships. Our vision is that regenerative farmers and ranchers are thriving leaders of a vibrant, community- based economy that is rooted in equitable distribution of power and resources. Kitchen Table Advisors’ work aims to both directly support farmers and ranchers, as well as shift the ecosystem in which they operate, to be more supportive of their agricultural practices and lived experiences. We focus our efforts on land, markets and capital, which we see as key levers of change as small sustainable farms and ranches strive towards long-term economic viability.
Job Title: Development Associate
Classification: Salaried, Full-Time
Salary Range: $65,000 – $75,000
Total Rewards Include: Professional development stipend, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and employer-matched 401k. Flexible working schedule, generous vacation, and leave policies.
Post Date: 1/4/2023
First Review Date: 1/30/2023
Work Location: Remotely serving Northern and Central California’s surrounding counties including, but not limited to: Yolo, Solano, Sacramento, Sonoma, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, Alameda, Contra Costa, Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Benito, Santa Clara, Madera, Stanislaus and surrounding areas. This role is remote; however, applicants must be located in or willing to relocate to one of the regions that we serve
The Development Associate plays a critical role in raising the financial resources to sustain and grow KTA’s work. This is a new role for our Development team, and will be responsible for supporting the administrative and project efforts of the department. The Development Associate will work collaboratively with the Development, Communications, Operations and Program teams to help generate the financial resources for our annual operating budget, as well as mobilizing resources that can directly support our clients and partners.
The Development Associate ensures that KTA meets and exceeds our fundraising goals by providing outstanding administrative support to the Resource Generation department, and affiliated board committees. They provide excellent donor stewardship by overseeing the donor database and acknowledgments. This individual plays a key role in the success of our annual fundraising event. This is one of four positions reporting to the Director, Resource Generation, and is part of a larger 7-person Resource Generation (Development and Communications) team.
This is an exciting opportunity for an organized and detail-oriented self-starter to apply their knowledge and skills in the service of a growing organization.
The primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Donor Engagement & Communications (35%)
- Create and maintain constituent records. Research and enter organization affiliation and contact information for partners, donors, and prospects.
- Manage donor correspondence with our community level donors.
- Coordinate the design and execution of our annual year-end fundraising campaign in partnership with our Communications team, as well as related materials that articulate our work across all donor segments.
- Events Management (25%)
- Support the design and orchestration of purpose-driven events — including, but not limited to, farm tours, round-table discussions, annual fundraiser, and virtual events — that engage individuals with our programmatic work and inspire them to get involved through philanthropic giving.
- Prospect and procure sponsorships and in-kind donations for the annual event.
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fundraising events.
- Development Administration & Support (25%)
- Work closely with KTA’s Finance Manager and our fiscal sponsor’s Finance team to manage our monthly reconciliation process, ensuring that all revenue – from online gifts, checks, pledges, and other forms of payment – are accurately tracked.
- Serve as a liaison with the Operations and Program teams to coordinate timely execution of fee for service contracts and governmental awards, and track related payments.
- Perform recurring and emergent administrative tasks that support Development and Communications work.
- Handle administrative details associated with the Development team, including, but not limited to: scheduling meetings, distributing agendas, and supporting cross-departmental communication.
- Circle and General Administration (15%)
- Participate in a cross-organizational circle, to support organization-wide efforts such as People & Culture, Governance, and Fiscal Health, as determined with your manager.
- Participate in meetings, trainings, and retreats as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
You care about our planet and our future, and you want to work in an environment that inspires you and others to action every day. You have a genuine love of BOTH community building and data management, and bring a keen eye for detail. You love to build and refine systems so that they run smoothly, and are driven by a desire to continually improve them to meet the challenges and opportunities of the day. You are self-aware, perpetually curious, a self-starter, skilled multitasker, creative problem solver and collaborative team player who is comfortable working with others who possess a diversity of backgrounds, skill sets, and experience. You thrive on being able to take ownership in bringing a plan or idea into fruition. You have high emotional intelligence and ability to navigate delicate situations/relationships with grace, take responsibility for actions, learn from mistakes, and apply a growth mindset. You want to be a part of a cohesive and diverse team of co-workers that has a strong reputation for excellence.
We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, lived experiences, and background to this position, lending their flair to the trajectory of Kitchen Table Advisors. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives in our applicant pool, and will be looking for candidates who possess qualifications and experience in the following areas:
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience is preferred;
- 3+ years of experience conducting administrative support work in a nonprofit development department highly preferred;
- 2+ years of project management skills, demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility and leadership;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to clearly document processes and systems;
- Meticulous attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and ability to set up and follow systems allowing organized and efficient work flow;
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize, and independently manage and meet deadlines;
- Commitment to doing excellent work, particularly in producing materials for donor outreach;
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality;
- Ability to work in collaboration with others that possess a diversity of backgrounds, skill sets, and experience;
- Experience building, cultivating and navigating relationships with communities of color and BIPOC-led organizations in a way that builds trust;
- Highly motivated and flexible, with demonstrated ability to learn on the job, and identify opportunities for innovation;
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, Google Suite, Salesforce / CRM, and Adobe;
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred. Native Spanish speaker highly preferred;
- Ability to maintain regular and reliable attendance;
- Connection to agriculture: family background or business, work experience, etc., highly preferred.
Travel and Schedule Considerations
- Due to the nature of the work, candidates must possess a valid driver’s license, with access to a vehicle, for periodic travel throughout Northern California to meet with team members and partners.
- There will be occasional work responsibilities that occur during the evenings and/or weekends.
Please submit the following to email@example.com with a subject line “Development-Associate-Application”. All qualified candidates will be contacted via email. This position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a first review date of 1/30/23:
- A cover letter describing your interest in this position and our work
Kitchen Table Advisors is a project of Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit headquartered in San Francisco, that accelerates impact for initiatives that protect and foster a healthy, sustainable, resilient, and equitable world (www.multiplier.org). The Development Associate will be an employee of Multiplier.
Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.