Kitchen Table Advisors (KTA) fuels the economic viability of sustainable small farms and ranches through practical business advising and trusted relationships. Our vision is that regenerative farmers and ranchers are thriving leaders of a vibrant, community-based economy that is rooted in equitable distribution of power and resources. Kitchen Table Advisors’ work aims to both directly support farmers and ranchers, as well as shift the ecosystem in which they operate, to be more supportive of their agricultural practices and their lived experiences. We focus our efforts on land, markets and capital, which we see as key levers of change as small sustainable farms and ranches strive towards long-term economic viability.
Classification: Exempt, Full Time Salary Range: $90,000 up to $97,000
Post Date: Tuesday, December 14th, 2021
First Review Date: Friday, January 7th, 2022
Work Location: Remotely serving Northern and Central California’s surrounding counties including, but not limited to: Yolo, Solano, Sacramento, Sonoma, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, Alameda, Contra Costa, Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Benito, Santa Clara, Madera, Stanislaus and surrounding areas.
Kitchen Table Advisors is a growing, purpose-driven, distributed leadership and multicultural organization. In the last two years the number of staff has doubled, we have begun a second complementary program to our flagship 1:1 business advising program, and we have committed to strengthening our internal structures to support our team to continue offering our farmers and community the best service we can offer.
This newly created position of Director of People & Culture is a role for a culture builder, people expert, team builder, and organizational leader whose task is to build a cohesive and connected culture at KTA, ensuring that our internal operations are in alignment with our values. Key accountabilities include but are not limited to tasks such as: organizational development, staffing and career development, compensation and wage & hour compliance, employee benefits and leave administration, training, employee safety, workers compensation, employee relations, and relevant policies/procedures, recruitment & onboarding, ADA compliance.
This role is a partner and peer to the other Directors of the organization in our distributed leadership structure. Together, Directors share responsibility for stewarding the overall direction and strategy of KTA through democratic, consensus-based decision making.
- Support the professional and personal growth of our team at the individual and organizational level:
- Be a trusted advisor and coach to staff to help them deliver their best work
- Act as an advocate for, and resource to, all team members to ensure that employee perspectives are heard and considered, maintaining confidentiality
- Support Directors to develop and implement professional development plans with their direct reports and amongst each other
- Support employee satisfaction and retention individually and programmatically
- Assist team in setting goals and priorities to prevent burnout and effectively manage workloads
- Recruit, onboard and retain team players:
- Create and manage a recruiting and succession
- Maintain job descriptions, develop pathways to Directorship, refine titles to accurately reflect roles/responsibilities,
- Develop and refine systems to support hiring processes across the organization
- Manage onboarding process for all new employees, with support from Multiplier
- Liaise with Multiplier HR on benefits, safety, workers’ comp, employee relations and policies and procedures covering all areas of HR.
● Steer team towards cultural alignment around our purpose, core values, theory of change and strategy.
- Liaise with contracted external facilitation team in justice, equity, belonging and inclusion topics and operationalization of organizational
- Support cross organizational stewardship, definition and refinement of values and building culture reflective of them
- Work with People & Culture Circle to plan and execute staff retreats and quarterly team building programs
- Work with Directors and staff to define, promote, and model the existing and aspirational KTA culture
- Develop and execute strategy and training to ensure that all teams are living into KTA’s values and that there is cohesion and integration across teams
- Develop community agreements beyond what already exists for the organization
● Organizational development
- Support the distributed leadership of the organization by collaborating with other Circles, such as Governance, Fiscal Health, and Operations, to ensure institutional knowledge is integrated
- Participate in a small group assessing the long-term need to become an independent 501c3 organization
- As the first solely internally focused role, wear the thinking cap of how we institutionalize knowledge across the organization, centering on our people
● HR and Internal Team Systems, Structures, and Policies
- With support from Directors and People & Culture Circle, lead analysis and administration of Compensation plan
- Maintain and improve systems, structures, and policies related to HR and Team, including:
- Performance reviews; Home office standards/tools; Conflict resolution; Hiring/recruitment standards/tools, ensuring consistency of messaging to staff
- Develop and execute a remote team strategy, shepherd completion of compensation tools and deliver on compensation administration, develop exit interviews and processes for employees, standardize operations that will help everyone work more effectively, and find ways to bring these systems alive for all
- Employee Guide to supplement Multiplier’s Employee Handbook
- Management & Organizational Leadership and Other Duties as Assigned
- Recruit, coach, and manage staff and coordinate with contractors focused on People & Culture to achieve organizational goals
- Provide peer support to fellow Directors through regular Director meetings, quarterly check-ins and annual reviews
- Problem solve around unexpected crises or threats to organizational health and well-being (e.g., budget shortfalls, staff challenges, external partnership conflicts)
- Lead two cross-functional bodies of work: HR (including a small group around compensation) and Team Culture (including an internal small group and external facilitation team around justice & equity).
- Utilize and steward relationship with HR staff at Multiplier
You are a skilled and trusted facilitator, coach, mentor, colleague and advisor. Approachable and respectful of the full spectrum of human diversity, you easily forge connections while promoting equity and fostering a sense of belonging. You excel at advising teams with diverse backgrounds on how to maximize capacity by defining current and future talent needs and ways to develop team members to drive performance and identify capability gaps. You understand the big picture and can align priorities with broader organizational goals. You have high integrity and ethics, EQ, and organizational drive, and thrive when collaborating with a team of like-minded, dedicated professionals who come to work every day ready to deepen our impact in the world. You bring to the organization an awesome attitude, positive vibe, good cheer, and a great sense of humor. You care about our planet and our future and you want to work in an environment that inspires you and others to action every day.
We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives in our applicant pool, and will be looking for candidates who possess many, but not necessarily all, of the following qualifications and experience.
- 10+ years of relevant HR experience, particularly in organizations with 20-25 employees (Sr. Manager/Director level experience)
- 3-5 years of leadership and supervision experience
- CAPHR or SHRM preferred
- Has worked in growing organizations and/or organizations with shared / distributed leadership structures
- Proactive with the ability to work independently while staying connected to the organization
- Ability to see the big picture and connect the dots, as well as get into the weeds on implementation
- Ability to stay organized, move multiple projects and priorities forward simultaneously, and reprioritize regularly
- Expertise in psychology, behavior change, organizational design and change management processes
- Aptitude for building culture, training, and recruiting programs
- Empathy balanced with an ability to provide direct feedback
- Has experience with social justice work and/or community building
- Has experience with DEI and anti-racist principles and practices
- English/Spanish bilingual required
Travel and Schedule Considerations
- Due to the nature of the work, candidates must possess a valid driver’s license, with access to a vehicle, for periodic travel throughout Northern and Central California to meet with staff in
- There will be occasional work responsibilities that occur during the evenings and/or
- Remotely based work; however, applicants should expect to travel to meet with team members periodically and for in-person Can accommodate office space if needed.
Please submit the following to email@example.com subject line “Director-People&Culture-Application”. All qualified candidates will be contacted via email. This position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a first review date of January 7, 2022.
- A cover letter describing your interest in this position and our work
Kitchen Table Advisors is a project of Multiplier, a nationally-recognized nonprofit headquartered in San Francisco, that accelerates impact for initiatives that protect and foster a healthy, sustainable, resilient, and equitable world (www.multiplier.org). Director will be an employee of Multiplier.
Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.