Azul is a Latinx led and serving environmental justice organization focused on ocean stewardship. We are small, nimble, and extremely mighty. Founded in 2011, Azul has been instrumental in the CA plastic bag ban, shark fin ban, and in expanding access to the state’s coasts. Our work is rooted and guided by equity, social justice, and intersectionality. For more information, check out www.azul.org.
Azul is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org), and is headquartered in San Francisco. This position will be located in San Diego, California, with a flexible working arrangement of both remote and on site work based upon business need.
We are a fast-growing non-profit organization and are currently seeking an Executive Assistant who is an energetic, highly detail-oriented self-starter who will facilitate the Executive Director and Director of Operations ability to effectively lead the organization. The Executive Assistant will plan, coordinate and ensure the Executive Director’s schedule runs like clockwork. Provides a “gatekeeper” and “gateway” role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the Executive Director’s time and office.
- Completes a broad variety of administrative tasks for the Executive Director to include, but not limited to: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments, commitments and responsibilities; completing expense reports; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and meeting agendas
- Communicates directly with board members, donors, staff, and external stakeholders, on matters related to Executive Director’s programmatic initiatives or schedule.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Executive Director, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgment letters, personal correspondences, presentations, reports, and other tasks that facilitate the Executive Director’s ability to effectively lead the organization.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
- Conducts research and analysis on potential partners
- Follows up on contacts made by the Executive Director and supports the cultivation of ongoing relationships and communicates directly on behalf of the Executive Director on matters related to programmatic initiatives
- Develops and formats information for internal and external communication – memos, emails, presentations, and reports to external stakeholders, funders, and organizational partners
- Acts as the point of contact among Executive Director, employees, and external partners
- Tracks relationship developments in CRM systems (e.g. adding contacts, creating accounts, updating notes).
- Screens and direct calls, emails and distributes correspondences; performs administrative duties and provides operational support
- Identifies opportunities for knowledge sharing between member organizations at in-person meetings, by webinar, and through individual connections.
The Ideal Candidate:
You have an entrepreneurial spirit, can work independently but are also collaborative and deft when building coalitions. You are an energetic self-starter with a proven ability to diplomatically assess situations by “reading the audience”. You are inspired by your work towards implementing the strategic vision of Azul’s mission. You are skilled and confident in communications with a solid reputation for comprehensively building brand visibility and a strong background with engagement and outreach.
You are also technically savvy and comfortable working across a full range of communication and outreach tasks from strategic planning to media relations. You are an exceptional communicator, skilled multi-tasker, and a creative problem solver. You love organizing closets and creating systems.
Qualifications / Skills:
We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position, lending his/her/their flair to the trajectory of Azul. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives in our applicant pool, and will be looking for candidates who possess many, but not necessarily all, of the following qualifications and experience:
- Minimum 3-5 years as an Executive Assistant or supporting C-Level Executives, preferably in a non-profit organization
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- Bilingual (Spanish / English) fluency highly preferred
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of service and response
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Willingness to learn new technologies, tactics, and strategies
- Commitment to equity and inclusion as an organizational practice and culture.
- Ability to work hours exceeding stated office hours as needed; ability and willingness to travel for staff retreats, meetings and professional development opportunities.
Salary and benefits:
Multiplier provides a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive salary ($60-65k), excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation and sick leave policy.
How to apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Send us your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Azul Executive Assistant” in the subject line explaining why you are interested in this position. Please describe your relevant experience and qualifications. We respectfully request no follow-up calls or emails.
Multiplier and Azul celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Azul are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Azul prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.