Kitchen Table Advisors (KTA) fuels the economic viability of sustainable small farms and ranches through practical business advising and trusted relationships. Our vision is that regenerative farmers and ranchers are thriving leaders of a vibrant, community-based economy that is rooted in equitable distribution of power and resources. Kitchen Table Advisors’ work aims to both directly support farmers and ranchers, as well as shift the ecosystem in which they operate, to be more supportive of their agricultural practices and their lived experiences. We focus our efforts on land, markets and capital, which we see as key levers of change as small sustainable farms and ranches strive towards long-term economic viability.
Job Title: Farm Business Advisor
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Salary Range: $76,000 – $86,000
Total Rewards Include: Professional development stipend, medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and employer-matched 401k. Flexible working schedule, generous vacation, and leave policies.
Work Location: Serving Northern and Central California counties including, but not limited to: Santa Clara, San Benito, Monterey, and Santa Cruz. This role is hybrid with frequent in-person meetings throughout the region. Staff are expected to work from our Salinas office at least twice per week. For these reasons, applicants must be located in or willing to relocate to the region served by this position.
Post Date: 10/2/2023
First Review Date: 10/23/2023
Farm Business Advisors play a central role in delivering Kitchen Table Advisors’ program services and organizational presence in the Central Coast region. The Business Advisor provides in-depth 1:1 business advice to farmers and ranchers in order to fuel the economic viability of a multi-racial next generation of sustainable small farms and ranches in Northern and Central California. This role will collaborate across and outside the organization to ensure that program, regional, and team needs are met. They will also actively participate in our shared leadership structure to maintain the resilience of the organization and will live our organizational values of equity, empathy, transformational leadership, ecological responsibility, and resilience. The Business Advisor will be part of a team of Business Advisors in the Central Coast region, and will report to the Central Coast Director. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with entrepreneurial and lived experience as well as Spanish language fluency to put their skills to use in service of farmers.
The primary responsibilities of this role include:
1-on-1 Business Advising with Farmers and Ranchers (60%)
- Build trust-based relationships with farmer/rancher clients
- Directly manage a portfolio of active and alumni clients
- Participate in ongoing client lifecycle beginning with recruitment, supporting clients through inflection points, including the possibility of farm transitions/exits
- Advise clients in the following areas in order to enable them to make sound business decisions:
- Business planning
- Markets and marketing
- Financial management
- Record keeping systems
- Cash flow projections and budgeting
- Developing a crop plan
- Access to capital and land
- Organizational management
- Connect clients to the tools, knowledge, skills, and resources they need to build resilient and viable businesses
- Proactively leverage the expertise of other KTA team members in order to assist clients
- Lend expertise to other Business Advisors as necessary to support their clients
Program, Regional, and Team Responsibilities (25%)
- Participate in regional partnerships with nonprofits, farm technical assistance providers, and others to provide support to clients
- Maintain professional and positive relationships with partners for the benefit of clients and the organization
- Report to and collaborate with Central Coast Regional Director
- Actively participate in regular team meetings and 1:1 check ins
- Arrange monthly in-person 1:1 meetings with Central Coast Regional Director and Central Coast Regional Team
- Participate in a regular reflection and feedback process with your manager
- Create an annual work plan based on organizational and professional goals that you hold yourself accountable to and communicate progress with your team
- Support or participate in Program activities, including: client gatherings, client communication, client recruitment, client training spaces, etc.
- Collaborate with Operations team to capture and manage client data in Salesforce in a timely manner, and to provide ongoing system design feedback
- Provide input on program goals in order to inform the development of program strategy by program leadership
- Collaborate with Resource Generation team to support activities as necessary, including but not limited to coordinating farm tours, photo/storytelling opportunities, sharing client stories for grants and communications, etc.
- Support regional ecosystem efforts as needed
- Participate in conferences as identified by manager: represent KTA, engage in networking, build relationships, identify new resources, and/or actively participate as part of the event.
Organizational Resilience and Shared Leadership (15%)
- Participate in at least one area of functional work (Circles)
- Participate in shared leadership activities including team meeting facilitation, note taking, etc.
- Participate in interview processes for new team members as needed.
- Perform regular administrative tasks in a timely manner, including time sheets, expense reports, meeting scheduling, etc.
You have superb interpersonal and communication skills, and lived experience to meet our farm and ranch clients where they are and help fuel their economic viability. You are an inspiring leader and ambassador, while also possessing the ability to coach and help lead the organization in a way that fosters creativity, teamwork, a commitment to excellence, and mutual respect. You have a reputation for honesty, fairness, and high ethical standards in all aspects of professional work. You bring strong financial planning, analytical, and communication skills to the work.
You are a skilled and trusted colleague, coach, mentor, and advisor who understands the big picture and enjoys supporting and building strong relationships with farmers and ranchers. You thrive when working in collaboration and partnership across departments, and are also content working independently to drive projects forward. You excel at advising clients with diverse backgrounds on how to define and achieve their goals, drawing on your skills as an excellent listener and advisor. You bring experience working in, or closely with, business and financial management. You work well in an environment in which new processes are an opportunity that excites you, and you are comfortable with learning and training.
You have high integrity and ethics, emotional intelligence, and organizational drive, and thrive when collaborating with a team of like-minded, dedicated professionals who come to work every day ready to deepen our impact in the world. You bring to the organization an awesome attitude, positive vibe, good cheer, and a great sense of humor. You care about equity, our planet and our future and you want to work in an environment that inspires you and others to action every day.
Ideal candidate will reside in Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Monterey or San Benito Counties, as this is where the Business Advisor’s clients will be concentrated, and will be fluent in Spanish.
We recognize that each applicant will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives in our applicant pool, and will be looking for candidates who possess many, but not necessarily all, of the following qualifications and experience.
- 5+ years experience running a small business or providing coaching, consulting or technical assistance to small business owners, preferably food or farm businesses
- 3+ years of on the ground experience on a farm as a farm business owner or farm worker preferred
- 3+ years hands-on experience with business and financial analysis, practical business planning, and financial management and decision making
- General understanding of both direct to consumer (e.g. CSA, farmers’ markets) and wholesale market channels (e.g. grocery stores, restaurants, distributors)
- Understanding of, or ability to quickly learn, landscape of networks and relationships with sustainable farms, food businesses, nonprofit partners, etc. in Northern California
- High emotional intelligence: able to navigate delicate situations/relationships with grace, take responsibility for actions, and adapt to others who have different backgrounds and experiences, learn from mistakes, etc.
- Ability to stay organized, move multiple projects and priorities forward simultaneously, and reprioritize as needed
- Demonstrated passion for sustainable food and farms
- Access to a vehicle and ability to drive within the region for business advising sessions, in addition to outside of the region for team events and conferences
- Ability to work nights and weekends, on occasion, as needed for events
- Spanish language skills required
Travel and Schedule Considerations
- Due to the nature of the work, candidates must possess a valid driver’s license, with access to a vehicle, for periodic travel throughout Northern & Central California to meet with clients, other business advisors, partners, and regional visits.
- There will be occasional work responsibilities that occur during the evenings and/or weekends.
To Apply: Please use this link: Farm Business Advisor
Kitchen Table Advisors is a project of Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit headquartered in San Francisco, that accelerates impact for initiatives that protect and foster a healthy, sustainable, resilient, and equitable world (www.multiplier.org). Business Advisor will be an employee of Multiplier.
Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Kitchen Table Advisors prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.