Rural Investment to Protect our Environment (RIPE) is seeking a skilled and detail-oriented financial and administrative professional to play a critical role in managing and supporting RIPE’s day-to-day operations. If you are excited to use your operational expertise as part of a small but mighty team working to achieve ambitious national bipartisan policy that supports farmers’ economic and environmental sustainability, this is the opportunity for you. RIPE is a start-up organization that is in the process of securing independent non-profit status. We are rapidly growing and in need of talented support to establish and manage our operational systems.
RIPE’s mission is to inspire a bipartisan climate policy that allows farmers to earn a reasonable return on voluntary stewardship. Our vision, as a farmer-led organization, is to create a climate policy that farmers champion because it values our contributions to a wide set of environmental benefits, enables a profit opportunity from voluntary stewardship, helps farmers become more resilient, helps farmers keep their farms in their family, transforms environmental policy into a rural investment that benefits farmers and rural communities, and supports farmers in being good stewards of the land. Our RIPE100 proposal advances a $100/acre payment for voluntary conservation practices that deliver at least that much in public benefits from a combination of improvements to water, climate, soil, and other elements of the environment.
The responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the tasks below. If you are skilled in some but not all of these tasks, we invite you to consider applying.
Financial Management (50%)
- Lead transition of financial management from fiscal sponsor to combination of in-house and bookkeeping contractor, supporting development of all new financial and operational systems
- Support Executive Director in developing scenarios for cash flow
- Draft and maintain financial records such as budgets and cash flows, in conjunction with the Executive Director, bookkeeping firm, and Treasurer.
- Perform accounts payable and receivable functions.
- Work with accounting firms to manage the organization’s finances and accounting procedures including closing books monthly.
- Assist in annual budgeting and planning processes in conjunction with the Executive Director, Development Director, and accounting firm.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the Board of Directors.
- Draft and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; draft and ensure compliance with the organization’s policies and procedures.
- Liaise with bookkeeping firm to prepare financial reports for Board and grant reports.
- Develop and implement operational processes and procedures for RIPE, such as vendor contracts and office supply ordering.
- Create and maintain information storage systems.
- Work with IT consulting team to oversee IT tasks and systems including Google Drive organization, remote communications systems (Zoom), and other software programs.
- Ensure the organization has the necessary resources to accomplish its goals including drafting standard operating procedures and overseeing all other operations-related work to ensure our remote staff has the support to be effective.
- Keep RIPE legally compliant federally and at the state level including, but not limited to, business registrations and state charitable registrations. A compliance consultant will support this work.
- Assist with the Board of Directors including drafting the agenda, minuting, preparing other documents, and obtaining signatures, among other elements of support.
Human Resources (30%)
- Liaise with RIPE’s Professional Employment Organization (PEO), Insperity, to ensure smooth HR processes and functions.
- In liaison with Insperity, create and maintain HR policies and procedures, including onboarding procedures
- Create Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) training schedule for RIPE employees and source vendors for trainings and workshops.
- Assist in new employee recruitment efforts, including writing job descriptions, evaluating candidates, corresponding with applicants, and ensuring the hiring process is implemented accurately.
- Standardize the process and support scheduling for performance reviews.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program and standard operating procedures system to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as the employee’s remote work environments to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Track human resource and operational procedures to ensure the organization is in full compliance.
Skills, Abilities, & Qualifications
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar position, preferably with a demonstration of increasing responsibility
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently, both spoken and written
- Team player who is self-motivated and can work in an entirely remote environment
- Ability to prioritize
- Possess an understanding of nonprofit operations and 501(c)(3) regulations.
- Able to manage competing priorities
Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter to Careers@RipeRoadmap.org.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We expect to begin interviews in January. We respectfully request no follow-up calls or emails. In your cover letter please describe your experience and your interest in RIPE’s mission. Please include “Operations Manager/Director” in the subject line and include your salary range expectations in the body of the message. Final title and compensation package to be determined based on experience.
We provide a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation and sick leave policy. Headquarters are in Washington, D.C. Work can be done from there, or remotely. Work is conducted in Eastern time zone and applicants are expected to be available during those times.
Currently, RIPE is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org). RIPE has filed for its independent 501c3 tax status with the IRS and expects to be a stand alone non-profit in 2022.
Multiplier and RIPE celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and RIPE Roadmap are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and RIPE Roadmap prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factors. n-merit based factor.
*Position is available for work from a home office in the following states unless otherwise specified: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.