Conservify is an open conservation technology firm that empowers conservationists and communities to tackle environmental challenges by lowering the barrier to entry for effective conservation. Through the development of new accessible technology built to disrupt the current market, Conservify is breaking new ground in the democratization of conservation activities and data.
As part of their mission to build an “open conservation” community, Conservify is currently developing an innovative new product called FieldKit, due to launch in 2020. The product is an open-source software and hardware sensor platform that optimizes data collection and sharing from the field. The product will be low cost and easy to use, and will bridge the gap between hard science and storytelling by facilitating data storytelling through engaging visualizations and built-in connections to social media. The first of its kind in the conservation space, it has the potential to revolutionize conservation technology.
Conservify is seeking a hands-on Hardware Engineer / Product Design Consultant (Mechanical/Enclosure) with 4-6 years of industry experience developing electronics products (with a preference towards consumer products, and a strong desire to build a best-in-class product that stands out in both form and function. They must have a passion for conservation technology, to learn and share knowledge with other team members, and to engage a passionate open source community. If you meet the below criteria and want to see your work impact positively on the environment and our planet’s natural treasures, then we want to speak with you.
This is a contracted position that needs to start immediately.
- Lead the mechanical and enclosure design for the FieldKit product line, including a cohesive design language that fits with the software side of FieldKit. Leads the art direction for the hardware. Ensures that the brand guidelines are clear and met and owns visual/style quality assurance
- Design products from concept to production, including concept sketches, modeling, specifying/sourcing components, detail manufacturing drawings, and bill of materials. Including all duties listed below.
- Perform product testing and failure analysis, including design of experiments as necessary
- Support relevant mechanical analyses and certifications in support of design and manufacturing feasibility and bringing a product to market
- Creation of 3D CAD designs and engineering drawings in preferred CAD software (Fusion 360 or equivalent) and proficiency in geometric dimensioning and tolerance.
- Develop, prototype and assist in development and manufacturing of new products that are optimized for manufacturing, assembly, and test. Leads Certification and Quality Testing/Calibration to verify that products meet legal manufacturing criteria
- Familiarity with product development considerations like layout, certifications, packaging, and other related skill in bringing a product to market.
- Designs mechanical hardware/enclosure to meet the creative and technical work packages
- Builds mechanical hardware/enclosure to meet the creative and technical work packages
- Tests mechanical hardware/enclosure design and build
- Escalates issues that threaten the project’s success
- Experience in fabrication and rapid prototyping methods and tools. Familiarity with manufacturing methods (e.g., welding, soldering, adhesive bonding, machining, stamping, molding, etc.).
- Working knowledge of materials and processes typically used in consumer electronics fabrication. Experience or knowledge with injection molded plastic parts, components, enclosures and the design considerations around those.
- Ability to develops designs and processes with external vendors, acting as product development technical liaison among vendors. Communicates multi-functionally on design directions and requirements.
- Walk through user-centered design for conservation technologies intended to be used in the field (possibly extreme environments) and around wildlife. Lead in mechanical considerations regarding complex decisions at the intersection of desirability, viability, and feasibility.
- Manages and tracks multiple priorities within schedule requirements to meet deliveries and project deployments in the field. Conducts related mechanical design reviews and drives file release process. Experience in quality assurance procedures.
- Good prototype sketching and concept generation skills.
- Ability to travel (internationally) for manufacturing and do field deployments.
- Reports to Creative Lead (Platform / Hardware) and Technical Lead / Technical Project Manager
- Preferred 4-6 years of experience in product development in industry, preferably in consumer electronics
- Experience creating prototypes at varying levels of fidelity: from rough mockups to fully functional models
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of mechanisms, materials, and manufacturing processes
- Experience leading others in a collaborative environment
- Experience in electronics and/or programming a plus
- B.S., M.Eng., or M.S. in mechanical engineering (from an accredited program, completed prior to start date).
- Experience with Design for Manufacturability, Assembly, and Test
- Experienced 3D CAD software user
- Experience working with overseas manufacturers
- Data-driven and detail focused.
- Applied knowledge in PCB design, integration, and radio (RF) optimization is beneficial
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and people skills; ability to interact with management, team members and external vendors
- Disciplined in crafting clear engineering documentation (including GD&T)
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The subject line should include: HARDWARE ENGINEER POSITION. Position will remain open until filled. Fieldkit is a program of Multiplier.
Multiplier celebrates diversity and is committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier is also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier prohibits discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.