Turn Forward – a national nonprofit dedicated to advancing an ambitious vision for American offshore wind power – is seeking a Head of Team Success and Operations to join our team.
This newly created position will oversee Turn Forward’s program operations and play a key role on a collaborative fast-paced expert team focused on maximizing the many benefits offshore wind energy can deliver as an essential climate solution. This role includes managerial, team and culture-building responsibilities working in partnership with, and reporting directly to, the Executive Director.
Candidates who are BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ are warmly encouraged to apply.
Created in 2022, Turn Forward is dedicated to advancing an ambitious vision for American offshore wind power that meets today’s climate, economic, equity, and environmental challenges. New offshore wind projects are being constructed, and a fleet of projects are preparing to start building. While states and the federal government are advancing bold plans to spur the sector, economic challenges and anti-clean energy opposition facing the industry continues to intensify. At this fast-paced and pivotal moment for offshore wind power, Turn Forward is hard at work to ensure the benefits of this resource are broadly known while also helping to advance the policies and projects that will significantly expand offshore wind generation, deliver benefits to workers and communities, and protect marine and coastal resources. We are a philanthropy-funded, national organization working collaboratively with climate change, labor, community, and conservation organizations and other allied partners to ensure a successful trajectory for offshore wind development in the U.S.
We are an independent operating project of the umbrella organization, Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org).
The Ideal Candidate
Are you a high-energy individual with a strong sense of purpose, a talent for managing complex mission-driven work, a love for shared leadership, and a passion for making a positive impact on our planet? If so, read on! We’re seeking an ideal candidate with the following qualities and skills:
- Orchestra Director: You are able to orchestrate complex initiatives with precision and grace, making sure that each player is operating at their highest and best use. You are eager to channel your energy and skills into people and teams that are working in unison to make a tangible difference, every day.
- Compassionate Coach: You lead with empathy and compassion. Team members are inspired and supported by you. You foster a culture of inclusivity, growth, and collaboration. People feel valued and heard when they are with you.
- Collaborative Spirit: Collaboration is in your DNA. You thrive in team settings, helping crucial areas of expertise come together to achieve shared goals, uplifting others around you to do the same.
- Change Leader: You are nimble and flexible, always ready to pivot and adjust strategies as needed. You thrive in dynamic environments and view challenges as opportunities for innovation.
- Thoughtful Doer: You are both reflective and decisive, and take timely, well-thought action to get things done. You have a track record of turning ambitious goals into reality and a knack for making the impossible seem possible.
- Master of Meaning: You express and convey complex ideas with clarity, thoughtfulness, and inspirational enthusiasm.
- Tech-Savvy: You effortlessly leverage current technology as a driving force for efficiency, innovation, and impact.
This role includes significant co-managerial responsibilities, in partnership with the Executive Director. It includes:
- Ensuring that Turn Forward’s operations and programs progress toward short- and long-term goals; maximizing opportunities and efficiencies and removing roadblocks and barriers to impact.
- Collaboratively developing and overseeing the implementation of strategic, effective work plans; tracking progress and regularly evaluating to measure success.
- Taking a lead role in Turn Forward’s talent acquisition efforts including developing job descriptions, posting new positions, scheduling interviews, and overseeing the hiring and onboarding processes.
- Fostering a team culture of purpose, belonging, continuous learning, innovation, and excellence. Building trust and shared respect while motivating team members for collective success.
- Overseeing cross-team administration and operations, including liaising between Turn Forward and Multiplier’s core team in areas like human resources, contracting, budget management, and technology.
- Working closely with other members of Turn Forward’s leadership team to develop plans for growth and organizational change and oversee the implementation of strategic organizational change initiatives.
- In partnership with Turn Forward’s team, developing, communicating, and leading the rollout of new directives, policies, or procedures to the team, answering questions and maintaining morale.
- Serving alongside the Executive Director in the development and monitoring of budgets and financial reporting.
- Supporting the Executive Director in funder and Board of Advisor relations, including ensuring that grant submission and reporting requirements are thorough, impact-focused, and timely.
Specific Experience Requested:
We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives in our applicant pool, and will be looking for candidates who possess many, but not necessarily all, of the following qualifications and experience:
- Significant leadership-level operations, project management, strategic planning and/or startup leadership experience.
- Demonstrable experience empowering team members at all levels of an organization to grow and succeed through feedback, coaching, instruction, appropriate delegation, and clear communication of performance management goals and strategies.
- High emotional intelligence including self-awareness, cultural competency, and the ability to cultivate meaningful relationships with individuals and teams from different races, genders, cultures, and political backgrounds.
- Proven ability to plan and manage operational processes for maximum efficiency and productivity. High initiative and capability to move from a present state to a desired future by identifying options, proactively assessing risks, recommending and taking next steps, addressing challenges, and removing barriers.
- Solid financial and analytical skills with an ability to track and present budget information in accessible and concise ways needed to inform annual and ongoing resource allocation decisions.
- Demonstrated interest in public interest advocacy and/or offshore wind.
Salary and Working Conditions:
Turn Forward provides a comprehensive package, including competitive salary ($95,000 – $115,000 commensurate with experience), excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation and sick leave policy.
This is a full-time, remote position. Some travel will be required.
Multiplier and Turn Forward celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills and provide an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. We prohibit discrimination in our governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.
How to Apply:
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Head of Team Success and Operations” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please provide both a resume and cover letter in your application materials. Your cover letter should include your interest in the position and connection to our mission.
Turn Forward mission statement: We are an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to advancing an ambitious vision for American offshore wind power that meets today’s climate, economic, equity and environmental challenges. We aim to create durable momentum for policies and projects that significantly expand offshore wind, deliver benefits to workers and communities, and protect marine and coastal resources.
We respectfully request no follow-up calls or emails.