Azul is a Latinx led and serving environmental justice organization focused on ocean stewardship. We are small, nimble, and extremely mighty. Founded in 2011, Azul has been instrumental in the CA plastic bag ban, shark fin ban, and in expanding access to the state’s coasts. Our work is rooted and guided by equity, social justice, and intersectionality. For more information, check out www.azul.org.
Azul is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org).This position is located in Washington D.C. (with access to a co-working space).
We are a fast-growing non-profit organization and we are looking for a full-time National Organizing Manager, who will report to the Founder/Executive Director. The National Organizing Manager will be responsible for amplifying Azul’s presence in Washington DC and for engaging advocates nationally. The National Organizing Manager will represent Azul at various meetings and events to enhance the organization’s profile.
- Selectively identify and build relationships with key mission-aligned partners that enable us to efficiently build a community of support through events, coordinated marketing, etc.
- Prepare strategic communication strategy for growing network of ocean leaders; engage key audiences by initiating activities that increase positive brand awareness.
- Manage outreach to potential partners including funders, build organizational network.
- Build relationships with the media engage with press, bloggers, influencers, and general public
- Keep abreast of news and info relevant to Azul’s various audiences and creatively find ways to leverage it to our benefit
- Develop new member onboarding program to facilitate new connections and participation by new member organizations.
- Coordinate membership growth committee to involve members in the work of building a strong coalition for Azul.
- Assess shared needs among coalition members, and develop potential solutions from concept to implementation
- Organize trainings to strengthen coalition member capacity for base building, communications, and other capacities
- Identify opportunities for knowledge sharing between member organizations at in-person meetings, by webinar, and through individual connections.
The Ideal Candidate:
You have an entrepreneurial spirit, can work independently but are also collaborative and deft when building coalitions. You are an energetic self-starter with a proven ability to assess situations and effectively implement the strategic vision of Azul’s mission. You are skilled and confident in communications with a solid reputation for comprehensively building brand visibility and a strong background with engagement and outreach. You are also technically savvy and comfortable working across a full range of communication and outreach tasks from strategic planning to media relations. You are an exceptional communicator, skilled multi-tasker, and a creative problem solver.
Qualifications / skills:
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of environmental justice
- Minimum of 5-8 years’ experience working in the nonprofit sector OR similar grassroots organizing work (Social Justice or Environmental Justice fields preferred)
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- Bilingual (Spanish / English) fluency highly preferred
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work under pressure, and maintain attention to detail
- Attention to cultural competence in all manner of community engagement.
- Ability to work flexible hours and travel as required.
- Willingness to learn new technologies, tactics, and strategies
- Deep community connections in the greater Washington DC area.
- Two years’ experience in digital organizing, marketing or online advocacy, including the use of social media, email, and SMS tools and familiarity with CRM platforms.
Salary and benefits:
- Salary is $65,000 – 70,000 per year, commensurate with experience
- Health, dental and vision insurance.
- Retirement plan with employer match.
- Generous vacation and leave policy.
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- Writing samples if available
Materials should be sent in PDF format and titled as follows:
Cover letter [last name], Resume [last name], References [last name].
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, first screening will start on October 16th.
Multiplier and Azul celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Azul are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Azul prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.