Azul is a Latinx led and serving environmental justice organization focused on ocean stewardship. We are small, nimble, and extremely mighty. Founded in 2011, Azul has been instrumental in the CA plastic bag ban, shark fin ban, and in expanding access to the state’s coasts. Our work is rooted and guided by equity, social justice, and intersectionality. For more information, check out www.azul.org.
About the Position
We are a fast-growing non-profit organization and we are looking for a full-time National Policy Associate, who will work closely with the Executive Director / Founder and report to the Director of Operations. The National Policy Associate will work with leadership to create, draft, develop, and advocate for policy solutions that support the achievement of Azul’s conservation goals. With the goal of deepening impact, the National Policy Associate will represent Azul in the media and also in coalitions to evangelize and amplify Azul’s mission on the national stage. This position is located in Washington D.C. (with access to a co-working space).
- Identify emerging issues and opportunities to advance marine conservation at the National level.
- Conduct legislative and policy research
- Together with the Executive Director, plan and execute advocacy campaigns to support marine conservation policies.
- Write and produce project plans, research briefs, resources, toolkits, and other assets for campaigns
- Work closely with graphic designers to produce outreach and education materials.
- Serve as the Azul main point of contact on marine conservation policy issues with external interests, the news media, coalitions and decision makers.
- Prepare and place news releases, op-eds, letters to the editor and other editorial products.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position, lending their own flair to the project. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives, and will be looking for candidates who possess many, but not necessarily all, of the following qualifications and experience:
- 2 years of organizing, campaign, or advocacy experience.
- Strong organizational and project management skills essential.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Comfort with public speaking
- Ability to tailor messaging and approach to advocacy to relevant stakeholder audiences
- Working knowledge of the federal policy-making process.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate as part of a team; and to be entrepreneurial, and self-directed.
- Passionate about environmental and social justice.
- Strong interest in marine conservation
- Fluency in Spanish language (written and spoken).
- Existing relationships with policymaker’s staff and stakeholders with an interest in conservation policy.
- Deep community connections in the Washington DC Area
Salary and benefits:
- Salary is $50-55k per year, commensurate with experience
- Health, dental and vision insurance.
- Retirement plan with employer match.
- Generous vacation and leave policy.
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The first screenings will occur December 7th and will continue on a rolling basis. Send us your résumé and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com with “Application for the National Policy Associate Position” in the subject line, explaining why you are interested in this position. Please describe your relevant experience, qualifications, and include your salary requirements. We respectfully request no follow-up calls or emails.
Azul is a project of Multiplier (www.multiplier.org), a nationally recognized nonprofit that incubates and accelerates program capacity for local, regional, national and global initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world. Azul staff, including the National Policy Associate, are employees of Multiplier.
Multiplier and Azul celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Azul are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Azul prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.