ChangeScale is an organization that acts as a connector, convenor and provider of professional learning for individuals and organizations in the San Francisco and Monterey Bay Area in the field of environmental education. We are seeking a part-time Program and Operations Manager to provide leadership, coordination, and administration support that will help strengthen and grow our regional network.
This is an exciting opportunity for an individual who resides in the Bay Area and believes that every child should have access to relevant environmental and outdoor learning experiences, and who is passionate about centering equity and justice in environmental education through professional learning for individuals and capacity building for organizations.
This is a remote part time, 25 hrs/week, position that reports to the Steering Committee of ChangeScale and to the Executive Director of Multiplier, ChangeScale’s fiscal sponsor. Occasional travel in the Bay Area is required.
This position will support communications, membership expansion, fundraising, partnership development, and program implementation, leveraging the skills and resources of the volunteer Steering Committee members, and ChangeScale’s institutional member base.
The Program and Operations Manager will build relationships with and support convenings of existing and potential partner organizations in the Bay Area to build and enhance the field of environmental education.
The successful candidate will be an excellent Program and Operations Manager, successful networker and compelling spokesperson on the importance of outdoor and environmental education for all children in the Bay Area and beyond.
ChangeScale values justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion. We seek applicants representative of diverse backgrounds, and we value lived and professional experience working with and in communities of color. ChangeScale is a fiscally sponsored program of Multiplier, a 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization.
Strategic Partnership Development
ChangeScale is a collaboration and partnership comprised of a diverse network of stakeholders ranging from school districts to ChangeScale member institutions, most of whom are environmental education providers. As such, the Program and Operations Manager is a public face and strategist who ensures that the partnership continues to evolve and flourish. Specific responsibilities include:
- Partner successfully with the Steering Committee, which is comprised of environmental education leaders from around the region, ensuring that their skills and talents are deployed for ChangeScale in support of its mission.
- Contribute to a multi-year fundraising strategy for ChangeScale that includes strategic participation by foundations, individuals, corporations, member institutions, and contracts.
- Develop strategic partnerships with ChangeScale’s 50+ member institutions, ensuring that their expectations for their investment are met, and that their unique contributions to the field are leveraged. Continue to grow the membership base to build regional involvement and a steady revenue stream.
- Liaise with ChangeScale’s fiscal sponsor, Multiplier, and work collaboratively to ensure applicable requirements and reporting responsibilities are met, and leveraging the resources of Multiplier for the benefit of ChangeScale.
- Serve as a public face of ChangeScale and a liaison to environmental education stakeholders ranging from the CA Department of Education to national funders, to local community-based organizations.
Field Building Overview and Duties
ChangeScale exists to support environmental education organizations, translating their enthusiasm and action into measurable change. We accomplish this goal by hosting a regular calendar of professional development, community building, and information sharing events. Our four annual convenings build connections between environmental education organizations, fostering the relationships, awareness, and trust that support meaningful collaboration. Specific duties include:
- Work with the steering committee to design, plan, and execute four regional convenings each year to support equity, justice, quality and professionalism in the environmental field in the Bay Area.
- Organize and execute meeting logistics.
- Write newsletters, updates, articles, blogs and other communications regarding ChangeScale members and professional development opportunities.
- Make updates to the ChangeScale website, send a monthly newsletter and post to social media channels. Training provided.
- Provide administrative support including calendaring and creating agendas for bi-monthly steering committee meetings.
- Support fundraising efforts through record keeping and possible grant writing in partnership with steering committee members.
We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position, lending their strengths to the trajectory of ChangeScale. We welcome a wide range of experiences and perspectives in our applicant pool, and will be looking for candidates who possess many, but not necessarily all, of the following qualifications and experience:
Work and Volunteer Experience
- At least 2 years of applicable experience in the field of nonprofit administration.
- Familiarity with the field of environmental education through coursework, direct program delivery and service, volunteer work, or in other capacity required.
- Experience in program development with informal learning organizations and/or school districts preferred.
- Demonstrable lived and professional experience working and building relationships in communities that are vulnerable and marginalized due to race, language, gender, income, and/or ability.
Knowledge and Skills
- Embraces and celebrates the many intersectional dimensions of diversity in the Bay Area and can articulate the value such diversity brings to collaboration
- Self-starter with a proven ability to assess situations and implement solutions.
- Enthusiasm for the task of pioneering new territory in the field of environmental education
- Experience in working creatively with limited resources to achieve maximum impact
- Sound technical skills, thoroughness, analytical ability, attention to detail, and good judgment
- Enjoys working independently and collaboratively.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, talk, or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Program Manager can be located anywhere in the Bay Area, though a central location will facilitate collaboration, given many of the partners are located across the region. Mileage reimbursement is available. Office space is not provided.
Multiplier provides a comprehensive compensation package, including a competitive starting hourly rate of ($25 – $30), excellent health benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. First screening will occur on January 25th, 2023. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter with “ChangeScale Program Manager” in the subject line explaining why you are interested in this position to our Applicant Portal. Please describe your relevant experience and qualifications and include your salary requirements.
ChangeScale is an independent operating division for Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org).
Multiplier and ChangeScale celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and ChangeScale are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and ChangeScale prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.