Azul is a Latinx-led and Latinx-serving environmental justice organization focused on ocean stewardship. Our work is rooted and guided by equity, social justice and intersectionality, and grounded in a community-centered theory of change. We are the only ocean conservation organization in the country that focuses specifically on working with Latinx communities – and we engage these (our) communities by leveraging culturally relevant organizing strategies and communication techniques.
Our team is small, nimble, and extremely mighty. Founded in 2011, Azul has developed and executed advocacy campaigns in California that were instrumental in passing the plastic bag ban and the shark fin ban, and in expanding access to the state’s coasts. Currently, Azul works in an increasing scale that encompasses federal and international policy
Azul is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org) and is headquartered in San Francisco. This is a fully remote position based in the State of California.
Of course it’s not butter, it’s frijoles!
Long before organic markets carried canvas bags — our abuelitas had been using bolsas de mercado for generations — because it made sense. Plastic is a relatively new invention, and one that our communities did fine without. Our #DejaElPlastico campaigns have always centered and celebrated the Latinx community’s eco-leadership and sustainable lifestyles.
Azul is looking for a Program Manager, reporting to the Executive Director, for our #DejaElPlastico campaign, focused on the abatement and reduction of plastic pollution through a whole life cycle approach. Azul has been instrumental in achieving landmark policy wins like the California single-use plastic bag ban, and defeating Prop 67, the industry funded ballot initiative drawn up to repeal the statewide plastic bag ban. Since 2018, Azul has expanded our #DejaElPlastico campaign to include a national and international scope, recently authoring a United Nations white paper focused on the environmental justice impacts of plastic pollution.
The ideal candidate takes a big picture approach to solving problems – understands that some solutions can be found in policy through legislation or electoral means, or better yet, through the collective power of grassroots organizing.
- Identify campaign opportunities and develop and lead on campaigns
- Perform policy analysis, legislative strategy development and implementation, selective stakeholder outreach, and coordination of the NGO community in support of policy objectives.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, partners and coalitions around campaign opportunities, manage relationships, and advance Azul goals.
- Organize and support in-person actions such as petition handovers, community events, etc.
- Produce a variety of written products, such as letters, blogs, fact sheets, action alerts, and op-eds, to support advocacy and lobbying activities.
- Lead activities in support of policy advocacy, such as stakeholder fly-ins, special events, and digital and communications campaigns.
- Earn traditional media and social media attention: Organize news conferences and write opinion pieces.
- Develop sustainable program goals, monitor projects and oversee project team to ensure goals and deliverables are met.
Ballot initiative special
In consultation with the Executive Director, work to define and execute high-level campaign strategy on plastic abatement initiatives (legislative and electoral).
Geographic focus of campaign
- 80% California
- 20% National
- Work in a team with RAY fellow (RAY fellow to work with Executive Director on International focus)
- 3-5 years of experience on advocacy campaigns
- A passion for environmental justice
- Experience working on ballot initiatives, electoral campaigns.
- Bilingual / Spanish
- Experience with polling
Salary and benefits:
Multiplier provides a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive salary ($65-75k), excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation and sick leave policy.
How to apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Send us your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Azul Program Manager” in the subject line explaining why you are interested in this position. Please describe your relevant experience and qualifications. We respectfully request no follow-up calls.
Multiplier and Azul celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Azul are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Azul prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.