Location: Office in Bethesda, MD/Remote work possibilities
Classification: Full-Time, exempt
Who we are:
Clean water is a foundation of every community. Every person and every organism on earth needs clean water to live. Every job relies on water services. The primary goal then of every water and wastewater utility is to have clean and sustainable water resources to support their communities. However, as water infrastructure ages and public funds become scarce, the ability to deliver safe drinking water and protect local waterways has increasingly become more expensive and challenging.The good news is that the water sector has made tremendous progress in adopting innovative solutions that deliver better results at lower costs. The challenge is these types of improvements remain largely confined to more resource-rich utilities. Unfortunately, the communities in greatest need of access to new ideas are often the least able to evaluate, select and implement them. Many of these ideas will save ratepayer money.
Moonshot Missions aims to close this gap! For many utilities, moonshot ideas of how to transform seem unattainable. We passionately believe any utility, no matter how big or small, no matter how well funded or not, can achieve their moonshot. We provide access to field-tested solutions and peer guidance for utilities in need. Selected utilities will receive step-by-step support to identify challenges, consider solutions, leverage financing tools, and navigate through each stage of implementation. We lead utilities from the start of an initial idea to the completion of their project, culminating in the utility not only achieving their moonshot but transforming their agency as well as their surrounding community.
This position will play a key role in developing replicable strategies – Moonshot Modules – that can support communities and utilities in need, and in parallel, work directly with utilities to help identify, select and implement modules specifically tailored to the individual utility. This position will work directly in a collaborative fashion with the entire Moonshot team, and have the opportunity to interact directly with utility staff from diverse communities starting in North America.
We are seeking a creative, innovative and self-starting problem-solver who seeks a mission-oriented role to support communities and utilities in need to improve water quality, public health, affordability and the environment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Senior Utility Director and Senior Utility Consultant, this position will serve as a technical resource and thought partner on the the development and implementation of technical services that can improve performance and reduce costs at identified utilities. Conduct research on drinking water and wastewater utilities to develop research-based reports on the current state of utilities in the US and assist in identifying solutions to drinking water and wastewater utility challenges.
Support Moonshot Missions in the delivery of technical, financial, governance and communication services to client utilities:
- Develop and contribute to utility profiles that will help determine utility targets/clients. These profiles will define a utility’s operations and finances, as well as its surrounding community.
- Conduct utility assessments: Support and collaborate with Moonshot Missions team in discovering potential opportunities to assist target utilities. Utility assessments will involve engagement with target utilities to identify challenges and areas where Moonshot Missions can provide assistance.
- Develop Moonshot Missions Modules that will serve as replicable optimization guides and solutions to water and wastewater utility challenges. These modules will require researching field-tested best practices in the water and wastewater sector. Modules should highlight solutions that improve performance and/or reduce costs and provide step-by-step advice on how to adopt best practices.
- Communicate with water and wastewater subject matter experts (SME Engagement) to gain knowledge about water and wastewater issues and discover best practices. SMEs will also provide feedback on Moonshot Missions modules.
- Collaborate with the Moonshot Missions team to determine opportunities with the greatest impact on cost savings or performance for target utilities. These opportunities will inform a prioritized list of associated projects that will set forth a pathway to achieving a utility’s moonshot.
- Help develop and contribute to communications materials intended for client utilities. These materials will include utility profiles, assessment summaries and moonshot menus. Develop collateral materials to promote Moonshot Missions and include on the website.
- Support Moonshot Missions in leveraging the modules as tools for implementing utility solutions (on an as needed basis). This will involve providing one-on-one guidance and support to client utilities on specific water and wastewater topics.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
You will be a creative and inquisitive problem-solver who is a self-starter and can work both independently and on collaborative teams. You will be fascinated to learn more about a wide range of issues pertaining to essential water services and will enjoy presenting opportunities to utility professionals and community members. You will have a personal drive for excellence, enjoy interacting with colleagues and clients, and approach any challenge – large and small – with energy, enthusiasm and a sense of optimism. You are mission driven and have a passion for helping people and communities.
We recognize that each applicant for this role will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and background to this position, lending his/her/their flair to the trajectory of Moonshot Missions. We welcome diverse experiences and perspectives in our applicant pool, and will be looking for candidates who possess many, but not necessarily all, of the following qualifications and experience:
- Candidates with experience in engineering issues pertaining to drinking water and/or wastewater treatment, drinking water and wastewater collection and distribution systems, stormwater management are encouraged to apply.
- Strong research skills and ability to write and summarize key points succinctly.
- Proactive solutions-oriented researcher.
- Strong communication and people skills.
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field.
- Desirable: Master’s or Ph.D. in Engineering or related field.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
You will learn how water is managed from source to tap and from drain to waterway, and will work with water experts to understand how new technologies and management techniques can save money and improve performance. You will also learn new management and financial approaches to managing water utilities. You’ll hone critical skills in project development, management and proposal writing and structure.
This is a full-time position. Candidates will receive a salary and benefits commensurate with experience. Multiplier provides a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent medical and dental benefits, retirement savings, and generous vacation and sick leave policy.
Moonshot Missions is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org). To learn more about the initiative, see: www.moonshotmissions.org.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. First screening will occur on December 2nd. Send your résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Utility Assessment Specialist Search” in the subject line explaining why you are interested in this position. Please describe your relevant experience, qualifications, and include your salary requirements. We respectfully request no follow-up calls or emails.
Multiplier and Moonshot Missions celebrate diversity and are committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Moonshot Missions are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment. Multiplier and Moonshot Missions prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.