Azul is a Latinx-led and Latinx-serving environmental justice organization focused on ocean stewardship. Our work is rooted and guided by equity, social justice and intersectionality, and grounded in a community-centered theory of change.
We are the only ocean conservation organization in the country that focuses specifically on working with Latinx communities – and we engage these (our) communities by leveraging culturally relevant organizing strategies and communication techniques.
Our team is small, nimble, and extremely mighty. Azul was founded in 2011 to elevate Latinx perspectives and participation in ocean conservation and has long advocated for environmental justice and equity at the international and national levels, as well as in the state of California.
We are seeking a talented and versatile Digital Engagement Coordinator who will play an instrumental role in growing our online community and crafting content that resonates with our diverse audience, including Spanish-speaking communities. This role requires a deep understanding of different content formats and cultural nuances. The ideal candidate will ensure that the organization’s brand and image are consistently reflected across various digital platforms, working closely with multiple teams within the organization. The position will report to Azul’s Digital Manager.
This position is fully remote within the United States, with a preference for candidates near coasts.
- Develop content across different formats, including visuals, videos, reels, graphics, memes, and written material, ensuring brand consistency and relevance.
- Create culturally relevant content that speaks to both English and Spanish-speaking audiences, understanding their unique engagement patterns.
- Collaborate across departments to align content creation with campaign priorities, evergreen efforts, and organizational goals.
- Manage a content creation queue under the direction of the department director, effectively prioritizing and delivering on content needs.
- Adapt content for use across various platforms, including websites and social media, maximizing engagement and reach.
- Manage social media platforms with the goal of growing and cultivating an active online community, including scheduling posts and responding to community comments
- Identify and capitalize on rapid response opportunities to leverage current events, pop culture and/or creative storytelling to cut through the noise on social media and move the needle on conversations about protecting the ocean.
- Develop the necessary tracking systems, tools, reports, and structures that provide strong clarity and accountability for our social media work.
- Develop and maintain social media partnerships with influencers and the organizational account of like-minded or allied organizations, including by coordinating with them on content and (when appropriate) creating social media toolkits with content relevant to our campaigns and issues for them to promote on their own channels.
- Stay up to date on evolving social media trends (including new features, new technology, and algorithmic changes) and best practices, and use that knowledge to more effectively reach, engage and grow our audiences.
- Monitor and curate social media content from allied organizations, relevant news organizations, cultural and social media influencers, and grassroots activists to find other content we can amplify on our own channels.
- Where possible, ensure that our social media channels are consistently amplifying the voices of Latinxs directly impacted by the issues we work on or invested in the campaigns we’re running (and the grassroots organizations that represent them).
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Success in the first six months of this position looks like:
- You’ve created and begun the implementation of a social media strategy to rapidly scale up our audience on our existing social media channels.
- You understand Azul’s broader goals, campaigns and issue areas, and are fashioning social media strategies and content that reflect that understanding.
- You are regularly (in accordance with best practices) updating our social accounts with effective content.
- You are maintaining an organized system of tracking, monitoring and prioritizing tasks and projects.
- You’ve set up systems to monitor the news and social media to ensure Azul can react quickly and appropriately to breaking news or emerging developments that are relevant to our work.
- You are using your social media experience and understanding of metrics to constantly improve your own work.
You could be a great fit if the following is true:
You are fundamentally aligned with our mission, values and culture:
- You would value being part of a cohesive, dedicated, and nimble team who are passionate about Azul’s mission.
- You share our unwavering commitments to social justice, environmental justice, and equity and inclusion as an organizational practice and culture.
- You are collaborative and highly relational, you are a good listener, you know how to both give and receive feedback well, and you are curious about and able to empathize with other points of view.
- You possess the cultural competency necessary to work well in diverse, majority-Latinx spaces.
- You have a track record of building trust and successfully working across lines of personal difference such as race, immigration status, ethnicity, language, socioeconomic class, gender, sexual orientation and other types of social identities and experiences.
You have the skills, experience and perspective necessary to build and run our social programs:
- You are an excellent and creative copywriter who lives and breathes social media.
- You have at least 1-3 years of experience working in an organizational context to identify priority social media audiences, grow those audiences, and run social media campaigns that engage, inform and motivate (particularly on Facebook, Twitter/X, Instagram, & Tik Tok).
- You have experience with a wide range of social media platforms, and an understanding of what their relative strengths and weaknesses are in terms of goals and audiences.
- You have the ability to creatively leverage both pop culture and current events to cut through the noise on social media.
- You track developments in social media and think critically about how to utilize them in your work.
- You’re comfortable with social media metrics and analytics, such as Facebook/Meta Insights and Twitter/X Analytics, and know how to use them to inform social media strategy and tactics.
- You can make basic movies using a program like iMovie and can use software like Photoshop or Illustrator, meme & GIF generators, and/or apps like Canva to make social media graphics.
- You’d be excited to take the social media trends, our campaign and communications priorities, and the news of the day, and translate them into relevant content and executable tactics that build our brand, grow our audience, advance our narratives, showcase our issues, and make a difference in our campaigns.
- You either are familiar with the major cultural touchpoints of contemporary Latinx culture (particularly within the US) or you have the capacity and desire to quickly get brought up to speed about it.
You are an entrepreneurial self-starter who knows how to make things happen:
- You are an adaptable person with a great deal of initiative and the ability to nimbly move your work product forward in a small nonprofit that is scaling up.
- You are self-directed, organized and capable of managing competing priorities without letting things fall through the cracks.
- You are good at approaching obstacles with a spirit of perseverance.
- You can take an idea and run with it, while also keeping your team in the loop to ensure they provide feedback at the right points in the process.
- You have good judgment about asking for help when you need it.
While not required, a strong candidate might have some of the following:
- Proficiency or fluency in Spanish (this is preferred but by no means required).
- Deep familiarity with Latinx culture and/or significant experience with a Latinx audience or membership base.
- Experience working in a comms or digital capacity for a digital agency or a progressive labor union, political campaign, or advocacy organization.
- Experience with third-party social media tools and analytics packages such as ActionSprout, Sprout Social, Crowdtangle, Sysomos, Keyhole, Radian6, etc.
- Familiarity with policy issues and political fights connected to ocean conservation or related issues.
- More than abstract/academic familiarity with the complexity of issues and obstacles facing communities of color engagement in the environmental movement.
- A background that includes active involvement in progressive social movements, particularly those that work to support environmental justice, racial justice, economic justice, gender equity, and/or immigrant rights.
- Experience working at a small nonprofit or start-up.
- Experience working with designers and artists to craft effective, evocative multimedia advocacy content.
- Experience with community, labor or political organizing.
- Experience building a significant digital micro and/or mid level influencer cohort to drive meaningful engagement and growth.
- A record of growing and engaging large audiences on social media channels and/or a record of managing high-profile social media accounts
- Experience managing graphic designers, coders and/or videographers to produce content on spec, on time and on budget
- Significant experience working in a multicultural setting.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all the boxes listed above, or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of as it relates to this position and the organization writ large. If that’s you, please don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Salary, benefits and work conditions:
Azul is an independent operating project of the nonprofit umbrella organization, Multiplier, a nationally recognized nonprofit with a growing portfolio of innovative initiatives that conserve and protect a sustainable and resilient world (www.multiplier.org).
Multiplier provides a comprehensive compensation package, including competitive salary ($65,000-$70,000) and a comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid health, vision, dental, short- and long-term disability, voluntary life, employer-matched retirement contributions, and a generous vacation and sick leave policy.
This is a full-time, exempt role that may require occasional work on nights and weekends. In addition, employees will need to possess the ability and willingness to travel (when consistent with public health guidelines) for staff retreats, meetings, and professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
To Apply: Please submit your application here: https://azul.applytojob.com/apply/p3dJ8FPiAI/Azul-Digital-Engagement-Coordinator
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and interviews will be offered on a rolling basis starting in February 2024. As such, we strongly encourage candidates to apply ASAP. The position will be open until filled. NRG Consulting Group is leading the search. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
About the Hiring Process
While the hiring process may be subject to change, we are currently anticipating a hiring process that, if selected, will consist of two rounds of interviews (each of which will be scheduled for 45 minutes). The application process may also include a timed skills test that should take less than 1 hour to complete. If we ask you to take a skills test, you will be compensated for the time you spend on it.
We are hoping first-round interviews will be completed in February 2024, with final interviews completed by mid-March 2024. We are hoping that the candidate we hire for this role will be able to start by April 1, 2024.
We will confirm receipt of your application and will communicate with you when we have made a decision about your application (either to close your application or to move you forward in the process).
We will principally be communicating with applicants via email and respectfully request no follow-up calls from applicants.
Questions about this position or the application process (including any requests for reasonable accommodation) can be sent to: email@example.com.
Multiplier and Azul celebrate diversity and is committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Multiplier and Azul are also committed to providing an environment of mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment.
Multiplier and Azul prohibit discrimination in its governance, programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran, because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor.